The release of Acumatica 2019 R1 ushered in a new Acumatica Warehouse Management System (Acumatica WMS) to automate inventory and warehouse operations. Here’s a closer look at this new functionality that helps streamline processes such as picking, packaging, PO receiving, putting away, transferring, and physical counts.
The Need for Acumatica WMS
Acumatica customers with medium or large warehouses typically use an external (3rd party) warehouse management system to support operations with inventory items by using barcode scanners. But the release of Acumatica ERP 2019 R1 introduces completely new WMS functionality that’s built right into your core cloud accounting system and available in the web and mobile versions of Acumatica ERP. No external software installations, integrations, or “middleware” to manage and worry about.
5 Key Features and Benefits
Acumatica WMS helps you accurately and efficiently manage your advanced warehouse needs in wholesale distribution, manufacturing, retail and other industries. Following are just a few key features and benefits.
1. Reduce Costly Errors
Accurate barcode scanning and verification of picked items eliminates over- and/or under-shipments as well as the risk of shipping incorrect items. Mistakes in order fulfillment often lead to costly returns and unhappy customers.
2. Improve Efficiency Through Automation
Acumatica WMS automates routine picking, packaging, PO receiving, putting away, transferring, and physical counting tasks with customized workflows and form modes. Not only does this increase productivity and throughput, it eliminates the potential risk of errors from manual keying or skipping over important steps.
3. “Smart” Simplicity
Pre-printed smart scan sheets allow warehouse workers to perform all necessary system interactions with just a scanner. For example, scan sheets include commands such as complete shipment, next/previous box, and remove item. Audible and visual indicators and warnings provide immediate feedback when incorrect items or more units than purchased are scanned.
4. Supports Lot and Serial Number Tracking
Serial and lot numbers are scanned and printed on the pick list and packing slip, so there can be no mistake about what was picked and shipped.
5. EDI Support
Advanced Fulfillment works with third-party EDI software for full EDI compliance, including 856 Advance Ship Notice (ASN), to electronically communicate the contents of a shipment.
Supported Warehouse Automation Operations
With Acumatica Warehouse Management, you can automate the following warehouse operations by using a barcode scanner or a mobile device with barcode scanning support:
- Picking and packing the items for a particular shipment
- Processing picking of shipments in a wave
- Processing picking of shipments in a batch (in depth: wave vs batch picking)
- Receiving items based on a purchase receipt defined in the system and putting away the received items to storage locations
- Issuing items from a warehouse
- Transferring items within a warehouse
- Receiving items in a warehouse
- Counting items within the physical inventory
You can configure the workflow for each group of related operations to correspond to the business processes of your company. For example, for shipping items, you can configure workflow so that Acumatica users can use only Pick mode, Pack mode, or Ship mode, or they can use these modes in any combination.
Picking, Packing and Shipping
As mentioned above, the pick, pack and ship processes can be automated using Acumatica WMS and a barcode scanner or scan-capable mobile device. Here’s a high-level review of these advanced inventory fulfillment features for pick, pack and ship:
- Generate pick lists and packing slips
- Use barcodes to speed up the picking process
- Barcodes on pick lists prevent picking items not included in the order
- Provide adequate package size and packing material to ensure safe transport
- Support barcodes and lot/serial numbers for accurate order completion
- Easily correct errors in amount, weight, items, and more
- Integrate with digital scales and printers to automatically weigh and print labels and packing slip
- Select shipping provider: UPS, USPS, and FedEx, as well as international carriers with ShipEngine.
- Ensure prompt pickup through your preferred carrier
- Automate shipment label generation
- Set up automatic tracking on all shipments
- Notify customers of shipment progress through each stage of order fulfillment
Want Pricing or a Demo of Acumatica WMS?
Acumatica WMS is part of Distribution Edition and integrates with the Acumatica Commerce Edition. Contact your Acumatica partner to see a demo or get pricing and see if Acumatica Warehouse Management is the right fit for your business.